Friday, October 19, 2012

Dubai

We've been super busy the past few weeks.  We are all pretty much adjusted to our new routines.  School for me is still pretty miserable but I am getting used to it.  There are so many cultural differences combined with the language barrier and huge class sizes that I can only do as much as I can do.  So many factors are out of my control that I just pray each day that I can survive.  The kids are doing great at their school and learning so much.  Mark's football team starts games next month so he has been busy preparing.

We've been to Dubai the last two weekends and there is so much to do there!  Our friend, Sarah Jen, visited from Alaska and we had a great time showing here around Al Ain and seeing new sights!  Here are some highlights from the last few weeks...

The Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world.  It is 2,716 feet tall...that's over 160 stories!

                                                 Pretty cool sideways picture that SJ took!

We saw the dancing fountain show outside the Dubai Mall (similar to the one in Vegas.)

Had to check out Ski Dubai at the Mall of Emirates...we'll save the actual skiing for another day.

Pretty amazing!

There's a snowman behind us...and it was over 100 degrees outside!

Mall of Emirates is a huge place!

At the souk in Dubai.  We looked around but didn't buy anything this time.

Jumeira Beach in Dubai is beautiful!  It has crystal clear water- reminds me of the Caribbean!


The kids had a great time!



We also took a drive to the man-made island,  The Palm (it's shaped like a palm tree) and drove by The Atlantis.  Its similar to the one in the Bahamas... 

We parked near the Atlantis and got out in time to watch the sun set.

The kids 'diving' in front of a four story fountain in Dubai Mall

Huge aquarium inside the mall

We stopped by the Hershey's store...who doesn't need an extra large bottle of syrup?

A candy bar just his size :-)



Thank you all for your prayers and we will see you again soon!


1 comment:

  1. I have been curious about Ski Dubai since it was built. When you do ski it, you will have to post info about their runs. I know that they have one black run, but what is it like? I love hearing about your adventures - keep it coming. Although, I am sorry to hear that the teaching isn't getting any easier:-(

    ReplyDelete