Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Religion...(eek!)

I haven't talked much about religion (and I wont) but I do want to give you a glimpse of what it's like living in a predominately Muslim country.

There are many, many mosques here- I would say close to 1 per city block.  Muslims pray 5 times a day and the call to prayer is broadcast for all to hear before each of those prayer times.  I actually enjoy hearing the call to prayer; it's very soothing.  No matter where I am or what I'm doing, it reminds me to stop and give thanks and reflect.  As a Christian in the U.S. it was the norm for me to be going, going all the time and not even think about taking a break and praying.  

At every school here in the UAE, even our kids' school, there is an assembly in the morning before class starts.  The students are lined up by homeroom.  They do a few easy exercises, sing the national anthem (in Arabic, of course),  and have some type of reading or demonstration.  At my school they do a few readings/songs from the Koran and sometimes have a competition of memorized passages (I think...it's all in Arabic, so I'm not sure.)

We have met many, many Muslims, including native Emirates and Muslims from other countries, like Jordan, Egypt, and Lebanon.  They are wonderful people; everyone has been very welcoming and gracious.  A teacher at my school, who is from Jordan, invited me for tea and gave me a gift on my first day.  I am so thankful that I have been well received as an American in my school.  It makes me wonder if things would be the same for them if the roles were reversed.  In the U.S., would we be as welcoming to people from the UAE and other Muslim countries in our communities and schools?  

Don't worry, I am not about to convert or anything, but I will say that our experience with Islam has been nothing but positive here.  I know there are many Americans who have prejudices, but I ask you to remember that people are people; we all need love and acceptance.  There are groups in every culture that do not represent the majority, which leads to misconceptions of beliefs.

I know I may be going out on a limb here with this topic, but hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.  The UAE follows a policy of tolerance of all religions and I am thankful to have the freedom to have this opportunity and still believe what I choose to believe.  We thank you for your thoughts and prayers and are happy to answer any questions you may have about anything and everything.      

P.S.  Pictures are coming.  I promise!

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blog posts. I love experiencing new religions. It makes me reflect more on my own beliefs. Take care and keep those posts coming!

    ReplyDelete